Sunday, September 1, 2013

Well That Escalated Quickly


The Mini has been sitting, quietly gathering dust, in the Garage for nearly two years. Anyone who's had a project car and then a child (or childrens) probably knows this phenomenon. Through this period I've been buying parts for my Mini with a goal of completely renewing the suspension and everything related to it.

Two weeks ago I finally started.

But starting wasn't enough, I had to push it. Go beyond what I had initially planned.

Why you ask?

Because it's a mother trucking project car, that's why.

2013-08-18 15-56-20
So instead of just replacing all the suspension parts I've started the process of completely removing the subframes and all their associated hardware. To start, I'm working on the rear subframe and although most might consider my pace rather slow I do have everything disconnected so that tomorrow (or Monday) I can drop the rear subframe out of the car (in theory).

So here's where I'm at right now.

2013-08-18 15-56-49
I've got the gas tank drained, disconnected and removed from the car. Along with that the battery is also out and I'm starting the process of looking for rust. So far I've got holes behind the rear wheel wells on both sides of the car, so that will have to be repaired before I can button it all back up. Also, curiously, the car left the factory without the rear spare retention bracket. You can see near the head of the ratchet in the picture below that the position indents are there in the metal, but clearly this left the factory without. I think British Leyland was nothing if not infamous for this sort of thing. So I will also get one of those welded in before I'm done as well.

2013-08-18 15-50-02

2013-08-18 15-47-18
With any old car you're bound to find the marks left by previous owners. In this case, there was this bikini clad girl found on the inside portion of the gas tank. I'm pretty sure she arrived courtesy of Max Power magazine and one of the sticker sheets they frequently included in their issues.

So that's it for now. I need to buy a lot more parts, there's a ton of dirty work to do with scraping off the asphalt coating on the underside of the car and removing some of the tar "rustproofing" applied internally. I expect this will take a LOT longer than I expect.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah!! An update finally. I also pulled a thread that did not stop....check it out on my blog and shoot me a note, thebluepotato.net/blog

    ReplyDelete